Pages

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Rhubarb Wine

Today it was time to do the next step on the Rhubarb wine....
So I scooped out all the rhubarb, just using my hands. And I held in there for a minute to let most of the excess liquid drip back into the primary.
According to the recipe, I had to add 3 lbs of sugar for every 1 gallon of liquid. I started with 2 1/2 gallons of water, so I added 7 cups of sugar....wow, that seems like a lot of sugar!
I stirred it quite a bit to get the sugar dissolved....
I scooped some of the liquid out and added 1 packet of yeast to that liquid, then poured it into the primary. It sure has a pretty pink colour!
It's supposed to start foaming, which would mean that it's working. Once it stops foaming (maybe a couple of days??) then I will rack it into a carboy and let it sit.
I'll rack it again in a few weeks, then let it sit for 6 months till it can be bottled.
6 months....that's awhile....well, here's hoping it all works out!
Tomorrow, we head out on a quick road trip....gonna go see one of my sons and his gal for a night.
Sphere: Related Content

5 comments:

Linda said...

Looks good Annie!

Have fun on the road trip and your visit with your son...

osageacres said...

I've never heard of rhubarb wine before. I hope it turns out too. I'd have a hard time waiting 6 mo to see.

Hope you had a good trip with your family!

Annie said...

Hi Linda and Michelle, thanks for your good wishes, we had a great time with Nick and his gal....

The wine I am sure is going to turn out well, at least the wine I tried sure tasted good!

Annie

Cindy said...

This looks sooo good. I moved away from my rhubarb and it was on its 3rd year.

Please keep us posted. I would like to know how sweet this wine is in the end.

Thanks for the process and the tutorial.

Annie said...

Cindy, the wine does have a sweet taste. This year I am reducing the amount of sugar to 10 lbs per 5 gallons....