Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Frost - There Go the Tomatoes


This is what we woke up to the other morning. After all that time with warm evenings, Nature decided to shake things up for us!









Frost everywhere.....























Then, I remembered the greenhouses. Ran down, and found this......poor squash













and this....Poor Poor Tomatoes.
We had the doors closed on both greenhouses. We have vents (sort of) up in the peak, and that is where the cold air must have come on.
The greenhouses are covered with 6 mil. poly, left over from a building project. Greenhouse poly is 10ml, I think, so if we had the proper poly on, things maybe would have been ok....





I've picked, sorted and bagged all the tomatoes up...there seem to be paper bags full of maters all over the dining room....The fruit that got hit is being fed off to the pigs, who seem to like them!
I'll check the bags every couple of days, pull out the ripe ones, cut them up and toss them in the freezer. I always leave a couple ripe tomatoes in each paper bag, hoping that helps to speed the ripening up.

I'd be a lot more depressed if we hadn't gone and picked lots of tomatoes this summer. I'm really glad I have so many jars on the shelf already...it makes seeing these poor tomatoes a little easier to bear!
Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Gardening Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Gardening Blogroll Center
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software