Pages

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Training Ginger Cat to Stay Off the Kitchen Counters



Ginger is doing great! We got her so we would have a mouser

around the place, and she is doing her job very well.

Even in Winter I have been finding gifts on dead

mice and voles on the doormat.

But one thing that she was doing that was pretty much

having me pulling my hair out is.....

she was jumping up on the counters in the kitchen.

To me that is so disgusting....I would sneak up on her with the

water bottle and spray her.

She soon got smart enough to watch for me coming, jump off and run

away before I could get to her.

My friend in Boston gave me a good idea!

Get contact paper (or Mac Tac as we Canucks call it)

and put it Upside Down on the counters.

Completely cover your countertops with it.

Peel off the backing, so the sticky side is facing up.

And.....wait.

Sure enough, it didn't take long for me to hear

"Crinkle, crinkle, crinkle" and I peeked into the kitchen

just in time to see Ginger trying to get OFF the counter.

She didn't like the feel of the sticky contact paper under her feet.

I left the paper on there for 6 days I think.

(At night, when Ginger goes into the back room for bedtime, I can close

the door on her, so then I would take the paper off for the nite)

Yes, it was a PITA to have the paper on there! Having to move

it to make meals, etc....totally a PITA.

But so much better than having a cat jump up and walk around on the counters!

I caught her up there a total of TWO times....about half an hour after I put the paper on there,

and then again maybe 3 days later. I guess she was trying to determine if the sticky stuff

was still there.

And....I haven't seen her up there again. So give this a try - it can

hopefully rid your cat of a really bad habit.

Let me know how it works for you!
Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I am going to have to try that. I have never managed to teach my cats anything but to jump off the counter when they see me coming...

Annie said...

Yes Andrea give it a try and let me know how it works for your cats.

It sure seems to have worked for Ginger.

Gardening Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Gardening Blogroll Center
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software