Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Apples, Apples, Apples!

The other day, while Dad was busy filling the woodroom, my Mom and I took care of apples. Since they stopped first in the Okanogan area, they offered to pick up some apples for us. They brought up 100 pounds....50 lbs for us, 50 lbs for themselves. After we were done, we realized we could have easily used twice as many apples....so next year, it will be 100 lbs for us, and another 100 lbs for Mom and Dad.

I had mentioned to Mom that she might as well bring up some of her canning jars, so we could take care of her apples as well while she was up here.

Here's some of the apples waiting for their turn in the kitchen......



You go, girl! Keep on coring!

All she did was core the apples, didn't even take off the peels...they'll be taken care of in the food processor.

Mom brought up her pressure cooker, she had a neat shortcut for turning the apples into sauce....we cooked them for only 3 minutes in the pressure cooker.








Then, I dug out my food processor, and ran them thru that, peels and all.

I cleaned out the processor between each batch, and got rid of the apple peels....none of us like peels ending up in the sauce.



I wanted some sliced apples to pop in the freezer to make into pies over the winter. Here's my Ziplocks filled with sliced apples (not cooked, of course, just washed, peeled and cored, then sliced.)

Chaos in the kitchen!


Ugggh....what a mess!
Apples in the processor, applesauce in bowls ready to go into jars, apples in the sink, apples on the floor, applesauce all over counters....
After going thru food processor, and before going into jars....
I added only about 1/4 cup of sugar to a big pan, just to sweeten it a wee bit more....

The bucket of cores and peels ready to go off to the piggies.....

Waste not, want not!

The quart jars were processed for 25 minutes in a boiling water bath (5 more minutes because we are over 1000 ft. elevation)

Peeking under the towel at the beautiful filled jars! We ended up with a total of 32 quarts (13 for me, the rest for Mom to take home) plus the 7 bags of sliced apples ready to turn into pies.....

This morning, Mom is doing up a batch of canned pears to take home with her. Once she's done, I'll be pressure canning another batch of green beans. After I'm out of there, the Gman is going to get started on making a wonderful roast chicken dinner.

The kitchen is in hot demand these days!!!

Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

Christy said...

WOW! That is a lot of apples. I got 1 bushel and have had trouble using them all. Not being able to freeze anything since we are moving in a month is hurting our efforts!

Cristine's Story said...

I am in awe of all that you do. So inspiring. I hope to do half of the gardening you do, someday.

Gardening Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Gardening Blogroll Center
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software