Pages

Monday, September 1, 2008

Canning Beets


This morning I thinned the beets, pulled every second one....they were Pretty Darn Big! This should be half the beets that I planted this year, so it looks like we will either be canning more, or maybe I can sell more of them!

I took stock of what we had left over from last year....looks ike we have 6 pints of Pickled Beets, and 2 pints of regular Beets.....
The Gman is helping me with this today, thank goodness! So, after we got them all cooked and slipped their skins off, we did 5 pints of pickled beets, using the boiling water bath method. Now we should have enuf for the year.....
We're using the pressure canner on the rest of them (I HATE using a pressure canner, have never been comfortable with them!). By the end of the day, we'll have 21 pints of canned beets to add to the pantry.
Filling the jars to get them ready for the pressure canner.....we added 1/2 tsp of salt to each jar and topped them up with boiling water.
I still have to deal with 2 big bags of beet tops....we blanched just 2 meal size bags this morning, and stuck them in the freezer.
Now, I'll have to blanch the rest of them....I think I will also just put a BIG bag of the tops in the freezer, and feed them to the hens this winter!
Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Aunt Krissy said...

The beets look great! I had a bad season for beets, so I ended up getting some from the farmers market, I made pickled beets and I am all most done eating the 2nd jar! I will have to make more soon

Gardening Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Gardening Blogroll Center
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software