Pages

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Lack of Snow

There is a real lack of snow here this Winter.....here's the road as we were driving in last weekend...








The Valley



Our yard.....this has started me wondering how dry the conditions will be in the Summer. We are always aware of the fire hazard out here in the Valley.



Don't know if I mentioned it, but the day I came home from Kelowna, the Gman came inside to tell me that we had no perimeter fencing. Gasp!!! Then he explained that our truck rolled right thru the fencing and came to a stop in our front yard!

So, he used baling twine (how Country of us!) to hold the fence up and the gate on. Then we headed South.

Now that we're home, he's replacing the one fence post that got crunched. He's going to make the new gate wide enough for the tractor and trailer to fit thru.




Me....I've been keeping busy with my Fiskars. I bought these late Fall, and I am glad I did! We have just masses of small Alder saplings that I am cutting out. I am hoping to get rid of most of the little trees closest to the house....before summer.

And the weather is still cool enough that we can burn up all the saplings....



I've done one side of the long driveway and am now working inside the yard....click on the picture and you'll see just a small portion of the aspen saplings....
Sphere: Related Content

5 comments:

Wendybob said...

I know where your snow went...Texas. We have had more snow here this year than we've had since the early 80's (or so my parents tell me...I was only 2 in the big winter of 83!)

We're so thankful for the moisture but can't wait for spring!!!

Aunt Krissy said...

I love my loppers too. Up in AK I had to cut down willow and lots of it at the cabin, here in WI I am cutting down little oak trees, I think they are called scrub oak.

Debi said...

you are such an inspiration to me, and I look forward to reading your blog every day!

Tim and Kari O'Brien said...

Welcome Home, Annie! It is so fun to see the piglets. What breed are they? When do you get to see Joel Salatin? I can't wait to hear about your time with him!
Good luck with the pruning and fencing.

Annie said...

Hi Wendybob, this Winter has been a tough one for a lot of the US, hasn't it?

Krissy, I'm trying to do one hour a day with those things....so bit by bit, it will eventually get done! Then I need to get it all burned up...

Thanks Debi! I'm glad you're enjoying the blog....

Hi Kari, thanks....We were thinking of you when we went thru Grants Pass. I think the piggys are Landrace. I just posted about listening to Joel...I am so Glad we went, it was well worth it!

Gardening Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Gardening Blogroll Center
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software