Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

The Chicks Are Here!


I picked up the chicks maybe 1 1/2 hours ago, and they are settling in now....took a bunch of pics...

but first, this morning, I started shooting the temperature of the houses with this...a handheld temperature gun....93, just a tad too high (we want 90), so I turned the heat down in the room just a bit. (I trust this gizmo more than I trust that thermometer I was using!)

I'll check the temperature probably every 2 hours while I am down there checking on the chicks....I probably check on them a lot more often than more experienced "chicken farmers" do, but hey....I want to be sure they are OK, and this is only the second time around for us and meat birds....

And the chicks already Like the temperature gun....the are already chasing the little laser light it emits!



Here they are in their delivery box.....chicks can live up to 72 hours after hatching Without either food or water....




















I took them out of the box, one by one, and dipped their beak into the water. Do this so they know where their water is...and also, they are likely thirsty!


















This was the scene maybe one minute after I started putting the chicks in their house....lots of chicks around the waterer, drinking away.....












A few minutes later, they had found the food tray....look close and you can see one little chick has his head stuck right in the feeder...as soon as he/she/it saw the light of the camera flash go off, it pulled its head out...
When they were all taken care of, then someone special just HAD to come in and see his new charges....here's the Wolf peeking in at the little ones....
Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Gardening Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Gardening Blogroll Center
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software