Pages

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Pizza Sauce

I took the last batch of tomatoes out of the freezer and am going to make Pizza Sauce out of them!

We heated up the 'maters and once warm and soft, mashed them. Then we ran them thru the food mill....put all the pureed sauce back on the stove.

And there it has sat....I think it's been 3 days now. I just left it on Low all the time, and we'd stir it each time we walked by and remembered it was on there.

Here's what it looked like last night....thick enuf that the wooden spoon stands up own its own!
You can see from the sides of the pot that the sauce has reduced quite a bit.
The recipe: (which I got from Homesteading Today) The "I" below is the poster who gave out the recipe.
pureed tomatoes (about 6 – 7 pounds)
2 large finely minced onions
4 minced garlic cloves
3 TB olive oil
2 TB lemon juice
1 teaspoon cracked pepper
1 TB sugar
2 TB fresh chopped parsley
1 TB dry oregano or 3 TB fresh
1 TB dry basil or 3 fresh
1 tsp celery seed
2 tsp salt
You want to mix all this together and cook until it decreases by half. I put mine in a roaster and bake it in the oven overnight at about 200 degrees.
To make it "super spicy" (how I like it,) just DOUBLE all the spices not the salt and sugar though.Substitute brown sugar or honey for white, for a different taste. You can cook a bay leaf in with it too. Also try some sweet red peppers finely chopped.
Process in a water bath canner 25 minutes for pints. Start timing after the water starts boiling. Makes about 5 pints.
Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

Linda Foley said...

Oh great! Do you mind if I add this the recipe book in my forum?

Annie said...

Yes, you bet...can you please credit back to Homesteading Today, since that's where I got it from.

Linda Foley said...

Yup, I sure will... thanks!

Gardening Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Gardening Blogroll Center
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software