Pages

Monday, June 23, 2008

Let's Think of Weeds as Green Manure

I've still been busy trying to get all the gardens planted....meanwhile, I look around and see my garden beds infested with weeds.....but still haven't had the time to thoroughly hoe each of the beds.....
so I got to thinking yesterday (justifying? rationalizing?) - anyway I'm reframing the way I have thought of weeds....


Why not think of my weeds as one type of green manure? They help break up the beds and help air get into my clay soil, which it sorely needs....

So as long as I make sure that NOT ONE WEED goes to SEED...I'm thinking it's just another form of green manure, and that's a good thing....

After all, until a weed flowers, it is just a plant....not one we might like to have in the veggie garden, but it is just a plant....

As soon as it flowers, PULL it out....don't wait for flowering to finish or weed seeds will be spilling all over the place. I read once that for each weed that goes to seed, that will equal 7 years of that plant being around in your garden....
Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Gardening Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Gardening Blogroll Center
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software