Pages

Monday, May 25, 2009

Planting Onions

I have no time to post, literally, the days keep passing us by. We're really busy and I'm taking the pictures, but don't seem to be able to find the time to put up posts on the blog.

I've got abit of time now, so I'm going to try to get caught up....

I got the onions planted....




ran my string line, dug a little furrow and threw in a good whack of composted manure. Beautiful stuff, let it sit for a year, fantastic for your soil and veggies.





Planted the sets pointy end up, about 7 - 8 inches apart. I got 4 rows planted, and put the rows fairly close together...how much room does an onion need after all?













Meanwhile, the Gman brought his machine up into the yard and finally moved all those ugly rocks for me....and since we had some pretty good ruts in the yard, he used that big mound of soil that was in the yard to do some levelling.




He even made a thing he could pull behind the quad...it's made out of a big thick steel rail, and he used it to level the soil. It worked great!

Oh....and a pic of one of the two beauties who are in the field next door right now....

She's staring at the piggys running.

It's so wonderful to see horses running over there again!

The next day, I got the upper right portion of the Main garden planted. Using my Vesey seeder, it was really easy and fast! I think most of my time was spent filling and emptying the hopper...the actual row planting is really quick!
I planted 6 rows of carrots, 3 rows of turnip, 4 rows of beets, 5 rows of spinach and 6 rows of chard.
Soooo....another big portion of the gardens planted!
Sphere: Related Content

3 comments:

Linda Foley said...

Ok so I had to look up 'Vesey seeder' and I did, but what one do you use? There is like 3 or 4 different types!!! I'd love to find one to plant small seeds like carrots with. But because I don't plant in rows, I really need one that I can plant one or two seeds at a time. I'm going to be out and about today so I am going to look for one to use to plant my root bed.

Annie said...

Hi Linda, if you go here you can see a pic...it works best for doing long rows of the same seed, so I don't know that that would work for what you want....


http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/tools/gardeningaids/earthway


Annie

Linda Foley said...

Thanks Annie, I kinda figured that is the one you used. That wouldn't work for me. However, a "tiny Tim" would work...

Gardening Blogs - Blog Catalog Blog Directory Gardening Blogroll Center
Protected by Copyscape Duplicate Content Software